Chef Kate's Note:
An Alain Ducasse recipe by way of the New York Times, it is a wonderful combination of blueberries and sabayon with a creme brulee kind of crust. Cooking time does not include cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Compote
- 4 cups blueberries, washed and stemmed
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 3 mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon creme de cassis
For the Sabayon
For the crust
- 2 -3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1In a medium saucepan on medium low heat, melt the butter.
- 2Add the sugar, vanilla bean, mint, cassis and blueberries.
- 3Cook slowly until the berries are softened, about 7 minutes.
- 4Transfer to an ovenproof gratin dish or baking dish, remove vanilla bean and let cool.
- 6Bring water in the bottom of a double boiler to a bare simmer.
- 7Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean.
- 8Add the eggs to the top of the double boiler and whisk.
- 9Whisk in the vermouth, sugar and seeds from the vanilla bean.
- 10Continue whisking until the mixture doubles in volume.
- 11Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- 12When ready to serve:.
- 13Preheat broiler or (if you're lucky enough to have one)have a small culinary blowtorch ready.
- 14Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks.
- 15Fold cream into cooled sabayon.
- 16Pour the mixture over the berries.
- 17Sprinkle the entire top with confectioners' sugar.
- 18Place under the broiler or wield blowtorch until top is nicely browned.
- 19Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gratin of Blueberries With Vanilla
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 263.3
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 245.4 mg
- Sodium 16.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 20.5 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
creme de cassis