Recipe by Lorac
One of my favorite comfort foods. An inexpensive and versatile main dish. I like to top the toast with cooked asparagus before adding the egg mixture. Stir in some chopped ham or top it with crumbled bacon.
Top Review by Northern Cook
I served this for Sunday brunch and asked my guests to rate it. They were a tough crowd and were only willing to give a five-star review if the food was laced with gold. So, four stars from this bunch is VERY high praise! I really liked this dish! The directions were easy to follow, it came together rather quickly, and it was delicious. Thanks for the great recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 slices toast
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy saucepan, heat butter over medium-low heat until melted.
- Stir in flour, continue stirring and allow mixture to bubble for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in milk.
- Return pan to medium high heat and stir until mixture begins to boil, reduce heat, stir and simmer 2 minutes.
- Stir in Dijon mustard, salt and pepper and turn off heat.
- Heat broiler.
- Roughly chop eggs into large pieces and place in small, lightly greased shallow baking dish.
- Pour sauce over eggs and top with shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Broil close to heat, 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and begins to brown.
- Serve eggs and cheese over toast.