Recipe by Derf
Ooohhhh!!!la la, these are pure heaven!!! Wonderful for a buffet table. Evolved from "French cooking by Eileen Reece"
- 3 lbs waxy potatoes
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- salt and pepper
- grated nutmeg
- 3 ounces butter
- 1⁄2 pint double cream
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 ounces grated gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Peel the potatoes, wipe clean with a damp cloth and cut them into thin slices.
- Do not wash or soak them in water as this would remove the starch essential to the correct consistency of the dish.
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan, season with salt, freshly ground pepper and nutmeg to taste and add the butter cut into small pieces.
- Place over a medium heat, beat with a birch (wire) whisk and bring slowly to boiling point, add the potatoes and the cream gradually, reduce the heat and simmer very slowly for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Rub a large gratin dish with the cut clove of garlic, butter it generously and pour in the potato mixture.
- Scatter the cheese on top and bake very slowly for 1 1/2 hours until a crisp brown crust has formed.
- Serve immediately.