Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Ooohhhh!!!la la, these are pure heaven!!! Wonderful for a buffet table. Evolved from "French cooking by Eileen Reece"
- 3 lbs waxy potatoes
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- salt and pepper
- grated nutmeg
- 3 ounces butter
- 1⁄2 pint double cream
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 ounces grated gruyere cheese
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Peel the potatoes, wipe clean with a damp cloth and cut them into thin slices.
- Do not wash or soak them in water as this would remove the starch essential to the correct consistency of the dish.
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan, season with salt, freshly ground pepper and nutmeg to taste and add the butter cut into small pieces.
- Place over a medium heat, beat with a birch (wire) whisk and bring slowly to boiling point, add the potatoes and the cream gradually, reduce the heat and simmer very slowly for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Rub a large gratin dish with the cut clove of garlic, butter it generously and pour in the potato mixture.
- Scatter the cheese on top and bake very slowly for 1 1/2 hours until a crisp brown crust has formed.
- Serve immediately.
I followed the previous review and added a teaspoon of Dijon. These really came out nicely, went together fast and complimented our grilled leg of lamb nicely.
To make this a 4 or 5 star recipe, replace the nutmeg witha tea to tablespoon (depending on preference) of mild english mustard. The dish will obviously become more savoury and be an absolute delight to have as a side dish with any meat dish. Yummmmy !!
This dish was amazing! At first it sounded somewhat boring but once cooked it was delightful! Definitely a keeper and I'll be bringing this dish for potlucks for Easter, etc.