Recipe by quondamquadrat
Delightful potato-cream-and-gruyere side dish. VERY rich. From the Joy of Cooking cookbook. My family loves this potato dish, but we save it for very special occasions due to the richness.
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh nutmeg, grated
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rub a 12-inch gratin dish or a shallow 3-quart baking dish with the garlic.
- Let dry, then coat with the softened butter.
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, combine the potatoes, half and half, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle boil over medium heat, then cook and stir until the liquid thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish; press down on the top layer to submerge the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the top with the grated Gruyere cheese.
- Bake until the top is golden and the potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes to an hour.