1 hr 15 mins
Delightful potato-cream-and-gruyere side dish. VERY rich. From the Joy of Cooking cookbook. My family loves this potato dish, but we save it for very special occasions due to the richness.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Rub a 12-inch gratin dish or a shallow 3-quart baking dish with the garlic.
- 3Let dry, then coat with the softened butter.
- 4In a large saucepan or dutch oven, combine the potatoes, half and half, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- 5Bring the mixture to a gentle boil over medium heat, then cook and stir until the liquid thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- 6Pour the mixture into the prepared dish; press down on the top layer to submerge the potatoes.
- 7Sprinkle the top with the grated Gruyere cheese.
- 8Bake until the top is golden and the potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes to an hour.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gratin Dauphinois
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.9
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 60.4 mg
- Sodium 522.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 12.6 g