Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is submitted for play in ZWT8 - Spain. I found it at Easy Spanish Recipes.com. Coliflor Gratinada is a Spanish Cauliflower Gratin recipe, and is a local dish of Murcia. You may use a small can of anchovies in this dish if desired, it is an optional item.
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- Slowly melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add all of the flour at once and stir until there are no lumps.
- Cook the butter and flour slowly over medium heat while stirring for about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the milk over medium heat until it almost boils.
- Pour the hot milk into the flour and butter mixture and stir rapidly until it all comes together into a smooth sauce.
- Put the mixture back over medium heat and cook for a couple minutes until it thickens and add salt and pepper to your taste. Add more milk if necessary to make thin enough to easily pour out of the pan.
- Wash and cut the cauliflower into small florets.
- Arrange half of the cauliflower on the bottom of a small baking dish.
- Crumble the egg over this lower layer and add the anchovies if using.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the layer and add a light layer of the cheese.
- Now add the remaining cauliflower in the top layer.
- Cover with the remaining cheese and pour the sauce over the entire dish.
- Add the remaining butter in small chunks over the top of the dish and bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the cauliflower is cooked.
My kids loved the addition of eggs in this traditional dish (a great way to add some protien). I do recommend cuting the florets quite small if you aren't precooking them. The sauce was lovely and creamy (no anchovies though). Made for ZWT8 French leg, The Fearless Red Dragons.
I thought this sauce was scrumptious. It was so smooth and creamy. I kept thinking of other ways I could use it, it was perfect with the cauliflower. I used white pepper and Wondra flour.<br/>This will be a side on my table again.
A very nice version of a popular dish! I enjoyed the addition of eggs, andd I confess I omitted the anchovy tho it would be an interesting addition!!! Thank you for a lovely recipe, much enjoyed, made for Consideration Tag Game.