Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Sometimes less is more, and that is certainly true for these simple beets.
- Wash, peel and coarsely grate beets.
- In a covered frying pan, melt butter then add the beets, stirring to coat with the butter.
- Squeeze some lemon juice to taste over the beets.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes or until beets are just tender.
- Check often to make sure beets are not burning, and add a few drops of water or broth to the pan to prevent sticking.
- Season with salt, pepper and herbs.
This recipe really brings out the awesome flavor of the fresh beets. It was absolutely delicious! I didn't expect a recipe with so few ingredients would result in such an amazing side dish.
This is very similar to another recipe I use. I saute the beets in a little olive oil stirring while cooking but only for a little over 4 minutes. I've used lime juice and then a little butter for flavor added at the end. It just makes for a bit fewer calories, and less saturated fat. Either way this recipe is a winner and definitely quick and easy. I eat a lot more beets than I used to when they were boiled and then slipped. I've also used a little water and butter to reduce fat ( in a non-stick Pan of course) when cooking the grated beets.
This was a quicker way to prepare than boiling then whole. I used fresh dill for the herb. Thanks Geema. Bullwinkle