Recipe by Chef Dudo
Usually I make this on Passover but they are good all year round. Can be used in soups as well as a side dish. Sometimes I fry them after cooking. Mostly I make a big batch and freeze to have them handy.
- 3 large raw potatoes
- 1 cup cooked mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chicken fat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper or 1 dash cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup matzo meal
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and grate potatoes.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as possible by pressing with hands.
- Mix grated potatoes with remaining ingredients.
- Mix well.
- The mixture should be firm enough to form into balls.
- More matzo meal may be added if needed.
- Shape into balls the size of walnuts and drop into boiling salted water.
- Cook for about 1 hour over moderate heat.