Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Fabulous side dish. Especially nice with beef.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped red onions
- 8 ounces neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup finely crumbled blue cheese
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium baking potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 11 x 7 baking dish.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions.
- Cook and stir about 5 minutes till onions are softened and translucent.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Beat Neufchatel cheese in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Add blue cheese and beat till blended.
- Beat in cream, thyme and salt until mixture is fairly smooth.
- Add cooled onions and beat till blended.
- Peel potato and grate with large hole grater. Do this one at a time to prevent potato from turning brown.
- Fold into cheese mixture.
- Repeat with each potato.
- Pour into prepared baking dish, cover and bake 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15 - 20 minutes more until crisp around edges.
- Turn oven to broil. Broil casserole 6 inches from heat for 3 -5 minutes until top is golden.
- Let stan 5 minutes before serving.