Recipe by Tish
Many people consider broccoli stems more choice than the tops and you may too after trying this simple recipe. In fact you may even buy the broccoli fo the stems and use the florets as leftovers!
Top Review by Bill Hilbrich
The recipe seemed to be a great idea, but what I got was a rather bland fiber that tasted like nothing more than cheese and hot pepper flakes. Sort of like eating the white parts of cabbage leaves with spices or parmesan cheese on toast.. I gave it 3 stars only because it did not taste bad, and as a budget stretcher or as filler for a wet salad it works if you need to fill the bowl.
- 6 cups grated broccoli stems, from 2 bunches broccoli
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, about 2/3 cup shredded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and grate the broccoli stems.
- Shred the cheese.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the grated broccoli stems and 3/4 tsp salt and toss to coat.
- Cover, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the red-pepper flakes and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the parmesan and serve.