Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Many people consider broccoli stems more choice than the tops and you may too after trying this simple recipe. In fact you may even buy the broccoli fo the stems and use the florets as leftovers!
- 6 cups grated broccoli stems, from 2 bunches broccoli
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, about 2/3 cup shredded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Peel and grate the broccoli stems.
- Shred the cheese.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the grated broccoli stems and 3/4 tsp salt and toss to coat.
- Cover, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the red-pepper flakes and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the parmesan and serve.
The recipe seemed to be a great idea, but what I got was a rather bland fiber that tasted like nothing more than cheese and hot pepper flakes. Sort of like eating the white parts of cabbage leaves with spices or parmesan cheese on toast.. I gave it 3 stars only because it did not taste bad, and as a budget stretcher or as filler for a wet salad it works if you need to fill the bowl.
What a great idea. Tried it, liked it. Willing be using this recipe again. Also thinking of grating the stems and putting in stir-fries. Really tasty. Great money saver as that is the heaviest part of the broccoli.
I'm afraid I'll have to agree with Bill. While this didn't seem bland to me (parmesan cheese DOES add a lot of flavour), I couldn't really discern any special broccoli-stem flavour in this. But I like the idea of using the stems grated, and I may try this with a whole bunch of spices and herbs added.