from Gourmet Magazine, December 2005. A great addition to the mix of holiday cookies!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For brownie layer
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 10 1/2 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (not extra-bitter or unsweetened and no more than 60% cacao if marked)
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
For mint ganache
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 10 ounces fine-quality white chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green creme de menthe
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
For chocolate ganache
- 1Make brownie layer: Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F Lightly butter a 13- by 9-inch baking pan and line with 2 crisscrossed sheets of foil, leaving a 2 inch overhang on all sides. Butter foil.
- 2Melt butter and chocolate with brown sugar in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove from heat. Whisk in eggs and vanilla until combined. Whisk in flour, cocoa, and salt until just combined.
- 3Spread batter evenly in baking pan and bake until set and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs adhering, about 20 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a rack, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 4Make mint ganache: Bring cream to a simmer in a 2- to 3-quart saucepan and remove from heat. Pour over white chocolate in a bowl. Let stand 1 minute, then whisk until smooth. Stir in crème de menthe and extract and chill, covered, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 1 hour.
- 5Make chocolate ganache: Bring cream to a simmer in a 2- to 3-quart saucepan and remove from heat. Pour over bittersweet chocolate in a bowl. Let stand 1 minute, then whisk until smooth. Chill, covered, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 30 minutes.
- 6Assemble layers: Spread mint ganache over top of cooled brownie in a thin even layer using offset spatula, then chill until firm but still slightly sticky, about 30 minutes.
- 7Spread chocolate ganache over mint and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
- 8Lift dessert out of pan using foil overhang. Run a heavy knife under hot water and wipe dry, then trim edges of dessert (1/4 inch off each side). Cut dessert into squares and peel from foil.
- 9Cooks' notes:.
- 10• Squares keep, layered between sheets of wax paper or parchment, chilled in an airtight container 3 weeks.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grasshopper Squares
Serving Size: 1 (2045 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1002.0
- Calories from Fat 572
- Total Fat 63.5 g
- Saturated Fat 38.6 g
- Cholesterol 254.8 mg
- Sodium 417.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 83.7 g
- Protein 10.0 g