Lorraine of AZ's Note:
With its old-west dancehall decor and its hearty western dinners (or dainty ladies' lunches), Lulubelle's used to be THE place to eat here in Scottsdale. This pie was the specialty of the house, and people often came just for a slice. Do not be put off by the name; do try this recipe. It is a basic recipe and may be varied with your favorite liqueurs if you choose -- suggestions are at the end. There are shortcuts you can take with this recipe, too. Use a commercially prepared chocolate crumb crust, for example. Two cups thawed Cool Whip may be substituted for the whipped cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine crumbs and melted butter. Press and pat evenly into a 9-inch pie plate; chill. (Crust will hold its shape better and taste better, too; chill well.).
- 2Add marshmallows to scalded milk and melt slowly in a double boiler over simmering water, stirring often. Cool to room temperature.
- 3Add liqueurs; chill until thickened.
- 4In a chilled bowl, beat cream until stiff. Fold into marshmallow mixture, adding a few drops of green food coloring, if desired. This should be a delicate green color.
- 5Pour into crust and freeze.
- 6Remove from freezer about 20 minutes before serving. Serve pie garnished with additional whipped cream and/or grated semi-sweet chocolate.
- 8Brandy Alexander Pie: For the liqueurs, substitute 2 ounces dark creme de cacao and 1 ounce brandy.
- 9Cherry Brandy Pie: For the liqueurs substitute 3 ounces cherry Brandy.
- 10Harvey Wallbanger Pie: Substitute orange juice for the scalded milk. For the liqueurs substitute 2 ounces Galliano and 1 ounce Cointreau (or vodka). Add 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest.
- 11Pink Squirrel Pie: For the liqueurs substitute 1-1/2 ounces amaretto and 1-1/2 ounces white creme de cacao (1-1/2 ounces equals 3 tablespoons.).
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grasshopper Pie Lulubelle
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 599.2
- Calories from Fat 354
- Total Fat 39.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.8 g
- Cholesterol 118.3 mg
- Sodium 284.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 20.1 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white Creme de Cacao