Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a very easy, yet very showy and tasty dessert. Its color makes it especially appropriate for the Christmas season. Actually, however, you could substitute any liqueur in this recipe -- amaretto, creme de cacao, etc.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix (2-layer size)
- 1 1⁄3 cups minus 4 tablespoons water (or as package directions specify)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or as package directions specify)
- 3 large egg whites (or as package directions specify)
- 6 tablespoons green creme de menthe (divided)
- 1 (11 ounce) jar hot fudge
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease sides and bottom of a 13- x 9-inch baking pan. Flour lightly.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions, blending together the dry mix, the water, oil, egg whites and 4 tablespoons of the creme de menthe. Use however much water the package directions specify but remove 4 tablespoons to make way for the creme de menthe.
- Bake in a greased 9-x-13-inch baking pan as directed. Allow cake to cool.
- When cool, spread fudge sauce over the top. (It may help to warm the fudge sauce just slightly.).
- Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in remaining 2 tablespoons creme de menthe. Frost over fudge layer. Refrigerate until ready to serve. You may enjoy heightening the Christmas look by decorating with drained red maraschino cherries or other red decoration.
- Note: You may substitute an 8-ounce carton of Cool Whip, thawed, for the whipped cream, if you wish.