Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
From a magazine clipping in a file folder from who knows when...Sounds delicious! Chill time required so plan ahead. Use red grapefruit.
- 5 1⁄3 ounces pure butter shortbread
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grapefruit juice, fresh
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated grapefruit zest
- 3 red grapefruits, peeled and sectioned
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Process shortbread in a blender or food processor until graham cracker crumb consistency (about 1 1/3 cup crumbs).
- Stir together shortbread crumbs, 3 tablespoons sugar, and 2 tablespoons melted butter in a small bowl. Press mixture lightly into a greased 9-inch tart pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium-size heavy saucepan. Whisk in juice and egg yolds. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 10-12 minutes or until mixture thickens and boils. Remove from heat; stir in 3 tablespoons butter and rind.
- Pour filling into prepared tart shell. Cover surface of filling directly with plastic wrap. Chill 2 1/2 hours.
- Place red grapefruit sections in an 8-inch baking disk. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar, and chill until ready to assemble. Drain grapefruit before assembly.
- Arrange segments, with outer part of segments facing the edge, around border of tart. Arrange remaining segments around tart, slightly overlapping to cover filling completely. Serve immediately. Chill leftovers.
- To make ahead: Prepare crust and filling up to 2 days ahead, but do not top with fruit. Top with grapefruit just before serving.