Recipe by SusieQusie
Packed full of good-for-you stuff, a wonderful blend of tastes and textures with a low-fat, tart dressing. **Note: If you currently take cholesterol-lowering medication (statins) such as Lipitor, discuss grapefruit consumption with your doctor! (Studies show that an enzyme in grapefruit interacts with statins, causing an increased & potentially harmful blood level of medication.)
Top Review by rlocati1
Like combination. Added cinnamon to a dressing of orange blossom vinegar, and orange olive oil. Used just a bit on each salad and made individual ones for two of us. Love the addition of the water chestnuts and mushrooms. Left the bacon off this time but may add another time. Thank You!
- 1 (16 ounce) package fresh spinach leaves
- 3 large grapefruits, peeled and sectiond
- 3 large oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits (or 3-4 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash spinach, break into bite size pieces & arrange in a salad bowl. Top with grapefruit & orange sections and water chestnuts.
- Mix dressing ingredients together until well blended & pour over salad and chill for 30 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with mushrooms and bacon.
- ** Cooks note: - this dressing is tart. Add sugar or Splenda, to taste, if you prefer it sweet.