Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Packed full of good-for-you stuff, a wonderful blend of tastes and textures with a low-fat, tart dressing. **Note: If you currently take cholesterol-lowering medication (statins) such as Lipitor, discuss grapefruit consumption with your doctor! (Studies show that an enzyme in grapefruit interacts with statins, causing an increased & potentially harmful blood level of medication.)
- 1 (16 ounce) package fresh spinach leaves
- 3 large grapefruits, peeled and sectiond
- 3 large oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits (or 3-4 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled)
- Wash spinach, break into bite size pieces & arrange in a salad bowl. Top with grapefruit & orange sections and water chestnuts.
- Mix dressing ingredients together until well blended & pour over salad and chill for 30 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with mushrooms and bacon.
- ** Cooks note: - this dressing is tart. Add sugar or Splenda, to taste, if you prefer it sweet.
Oh WOWIE, SusieQusie!!! This is a terrifc salad!! I didn't include the orange sectons, but just fresh orange zest over top. And I used turnip chips in place of the water chestnuts--same consistency and crunch. The dressing was perfection! Made for Tag Game.