Recipe by Judith N.
This recipe was my Mom's. It is a Christmas tradition in our family, however the salad is tasty anytime of the year. It's presentation is very pretty at the table. I recommend an overnight chill for best results in the final set. Cook time does not reflect this.
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain grapefruit and add enough water to the syrup to make 3 1/3 cups.
- Heat half (1 2/3 cups) of the syrup mixture to boiling; add to gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Add remaining syrup mixture; cool.
- Select 8 of best grapefruit segments and arrange in bottom of 1 1/2 quart ring mold with cherries between each segment.
- Carefully pour half of the gelatin mixture over fruits in mold; chill till firm.
- Meanwhile chill remaining gelatin mixture until partially set; add remaining grapefruit segments and carefully pour mixture over firm gelatin in mold.
- (This takes about 1 hour before you can combine the two gelatins without disturbing the first layer, watch carefully).
- Chill till set.
- Unmold on platter on lettuce leaves.
- Serve with mayonnaise.