Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
I saw this on the food network,it was from a festival in FL. I haven't made it but it looks great and all the judges raved about it.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (3 ounce) box strawberry gelatin
- 2 large red grapefruits, sectioned
- 1 prebaked pie shell
- whipped cream, for serving
- In medium saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch, add water and cook over medium heat until thick and clear.
- Add strawberry gelatin and stir to dissolve.
- Let cool, and add grapefruit sections.
- Pour mixture into baked pie shell and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
- Top with whipped cream and serve.
I used sugarfree strawberry jello and Splenda instead of sugar. The result was SOOO sweet we can hardly eat it. I did not put it into a crust. I will make this again using real sugar, but still sugar free jello. I know it will be great. I would advise however to cut the grapefruit into small bite size pieces
It is very difficult to find any good recipes that use grapefruit. Most of the recipes lose the grapefruit flavor somewhat. This one is excellent. One adjustment though: I used 0.5 oz (the box I bought had 4 packets in there, I used two, maybe one will do, not sure) of unflavored gelatin. I also used maybe 3 large grapefruit instead of two and reduced the sugar a bit. It's outstanding. As fruity as it gets. Pure grapefruit flavor. Not too sweet either.
Very refreshing! After reading the other reviews I decided not to include the 1 cup sugar and used regular jello but not by choice. I've been cutting sugar from my diet and it turns out I have zero granulated sugar in my apt anyway. Regardless, my BF and I were still happy with the result and the added sweetness from the cool whip really helped. I don't even wanna know how sweet it should really be. (Used reduced fat cool whip, reduced fat graham cracker crust, and no added sugar)