Recipe by Bonnie G #2
This recipe is in my newest Good Housekeeping magazine and looks so pretty. I've recently tried several meringue recipes (Pavlova) and really enjoy making them, I love the taste and the impressive presentation. So with summer berries to soon be in season I really want to save this one to try. Bet the grapefruit will add a unique taste. Prep times does not include drying time for the nests
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grapefruit peel, Ruby Red freshly grated
- 4 ounces blueberries
- 4 ounces raspberries
- 2 lbs strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup grapefruit juice, fresh, ruby red
Directions See How It's Made
- PREPARE MERINGUE NESTS:
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Line large cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In large bowl, with mixer on high speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks from.
- Sprinkle in sugar 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until sugar dissovles and meringue stands in stiff, glossy peaks when beaters are lifted.
- With large rubber spatula, gently fold grapefruit peel into meringue until well combined.
- Divide mixture into 8 even mounds (heaping 1/4 cup measuring cup) on prepared sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- Pressing back of spoon into center of each meringue, form mounds into 3 inch round nests.
- Bake 2 hours or until firm.
- Turn off oven; leave meringues in oven 1 hour or overnight to dry.
- When dry, carefully remove from parchment.
- Meringues can be stored in tightly sealed container at room temp up to 2 weeks.
- PREPARE BERRIES:.
- In large bowl, combine blueberries, raspberries, and half of strawberries.
- In 12 inch skillet, combine sugar and grapefruit juice.
- Heat to boiling on medium, stirring occasionally.
- Boil 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture is clear pink.
- Add the first half of strawberries and cook 1-3 minutes or until berries release their juices and have softened slightly.
- Pour mixture over un-cooked berries in large bowl.
- Stir gently until well combined.
- Place meringue nexts on serving plates.
- Divid berries among nests and drizzle grapefruit syrup all around.
- Serve immediately.