Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Vegetarian Times January 2009. I have also made this with oranges. To supreme a citrus fruit: cut off the outer rind with a sharp knife, then slice wedges of fruit out from between the inner membranes of each segment.
- 3⁄4 cup pecans (3 oz)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 grapefruits, supremed and chopped with juices reserved
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 1⁄2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 9x5" loaf pan with cooking spray. Spread pecans on baking sheet and toast 6-7 minutes. Cool slightly and chop.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in large bowl, set aside.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl. Whisk yogurt, milk and canola oil into eggs. Stir in grapefruit pieces and zest.
- Fold egg mixture into flour mixture until just moistened and no lumps remain. Fold in crystallized ginger and chopped pecans. Transfer to prepared loaf pan and bake 55-60 minutes, or until deep brown around edges and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 1 hour on wire rack. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- To make glaze: whisk together confectioner's sugar and 1 T grapefruit juice in a small bowl. Stir in additional 1/2 t juice to achieve thick, but pourable consistency. Add another 1/2 t juice drop by drop, if necessary.
- Place foil beneath wire rack to catch drips. Turn loaf upside down so that flat side is up. Drizzle glaze over loaf. Allow glaze to set before slicing.