Recipe by Elmotoo
Developed for RSC #18. This light refreshing dessert is sure to become a favorite. It's not difficult to prepare, is suitable in winter or summer, and is just the right amount of sweetness after a meal. The number of servings will depend on the size serving glasses that you use. I had enough for 6 large parfaits, easily. **time to drain the yogurt is not calculated** COOK time is the two reductions cooked at separate times. PREP time includes the final assembly. Enjoy!
Top Review by Studentchef
My family loves grapefruit, especially my father. I wasn't too keen on trying this, because I'm one of the few in my family to be meh about grapefruit. But this recipe won me over! What a creative way to use the citrus. Everything went so well together, and it provided another cool and refreshing desserts for one of our hot days.
- 1 (32 ounce) container plain yogurt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 grapefruit, zest of, peeled into wide strips
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packets unflavored gelatin
- 14 ounces soft tofu or 14 ounces silken tofu
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- 1 tablespoon allspice berry
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup, as desired (Karo)
- 4 grapefruits, peeled & segmented, juice reserved
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a colander with paper towels. Empty container of yogurt into colander & let drain 2-3 hours until very thick.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar, water & peeled zest of 1 grapefruit in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil & cook until reduced approximately by half. Carefully remove the zest to a cooling rack to dry. It's good to snack on. Sprinkle unflavored gelatin on warm syrup & let sit a few minutes. When softened, whisk until smooth-ish.
- In blender that holds at least 8c, blend drained tofu. Add drained yogurt. Blend well. With blender running, carefully pour syrup through hole in top. Blend at least several minutes to be sure the gelatin is thoroughly incorporated. Pour heavy cream through top. Blend a few minutes longer. The blender will be full!
- Pour contents of blender into a bowl & refrigerate until ready to assemble parfaits. Can be made a day ahead.
- Combine pomegranate juice, ginger & allspice berries in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil & reduce to a syrup. Allow to cool a bit. Strain out ginger & allspice. Add corn syrup to desired sweetness. The reduction is tart!
- Peel & segment the grapefruits over a bowl to catch the juice. Drain the segments in a strainer over a bowl to catch additional juice. Reserve the juice for a nice drink later.
- In parfait glasses or similar, spoon some of the mousse ("clouds"), add a layer of grapefruit segments, more mousse, more grapefruit, a dollop of mousse and a generous drizzle of pomegranate glaze. Serve & enjoy!