Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A ridiculously easy dish! If you want to complicate things a bit more you can brine the bird afore hand.
- 1 roasting hen (about 4lbs.)
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 onion, thickly sliced (about 5 slices)
- olive oil
- salt (preferably kosher)
- pepper (preferably fresh cracked)
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Remove neck and the rest of the organ"prize package" from the inside of the bird.
- Discard or save for a later use (like stock).
- Rinse bird.
- Pat dry.
- Rub olive oil all over bird.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place onion slices in a roasting pan and place bird on slices.
- Cut grapefruit in half.
- Squeeze one half over bird.
- Place used half of grapefruit in the cavity of the bird and tie legs together.
- You can also fold the bird's wings back at this point if you want to.
- Cook bird for about an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half or until leg joint is loose and juices run clear.
- While bird is cooking use the other half of the grapefruit to"baste" the chicken.
- If the chicken begins to get too dark (this can happen because of all the natural sugar in the grapefruit) cover loosely with foil.
- When finished cooking.
- Let it sit and rest for five minutes.
- Then carve away!
Wonderfully moist and tasty chicken! I only used a breast on the bone and added some rosemary and garlic cloves as well as potatoes to the baking dish. The whole house smelled heavenly and the grapefruit juice together with the onions and garlic made a lovely pan sauce. Will make again, thanks for posting! Made and reviewed for the Spanish/Portuguese Forum ~El Pomelo - June 2012~.
I had two grapefruits I wanted to use up so I stuffed the cavity with one of the grapefruits, quartered of course, and used the other one to baste the chicken. The chicken was fantastic, crispy skin with a little stickiness to it from the grapefruit, but honestly, I could hardly tell there was grapefruit present.
This has to be one of the juiciest chickens I have ever made. Super easy even my 10 year old could make. She helped me watch it. I will be making this again. TY very much for a wonderful dinner.