Recipe by fluffernutter
Brightly flavored,delicious, and novel, too, so it's a good conversation piece for gatherings. People often ask for the recipe, so be prepared. It's really more like a loaf cake than a bread.
Top Review by blazerrose
This came out really tender and flavorful. I used fresh squeezed juice with pulp for extra oomph. By the way, the directions do not have a temperature, so I went with 350 and it was perfect. I put the glaze on while the bread was still in the pan and let it soak in. Will definitely make again.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit, rind of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. beat in eggs.
- Sift flour with salt, soda and baking powder. Add the batter alternately with milk. Add the grated rind and 4 tablespoons of the juice.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until loaf tests clean.
- For the glaze, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice with powdered sugar. Remove bread from pan and poke holes in it. Pour the glaze over it. Let set, then wrap in foil or plastic wrap and let stand for a day for flavors to mellow.