Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love this marmalade - the tart bitterness of the grapefruit juxtaposes the sweetness. This is ideal on a slice of buttered breakfast toast (with tea).
- 3 medium grapefruits
- 78.07 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1419.54 ml water
- 591.47 ml sugar
- 22.18-29.58 ml fresh ginger, coarsely grated (optional)
- 9.85 ml grenadine
- Using vegetable peeler, remove peel from 2 grapefruits (coloured part only) in long strips.
- Cut peel into fine julienne.
- Add peel to large pot of boiling water and cook 5 minutes.
- Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again.
- Peel remaining grapefruit.
- Remove white pith from all the grapefruits.
- Working over large bowl to catch juice, cut between membrane of grapefruits with small sharp knife to release segments.
- Mix segments with grapefruit juice.
- Mix in lemon juice.
- Combine grapefruit mixture and 6 cups water in heavy, medium saucepan.
- Boil 30 minutes.
- Add sugar and peel and stir until sugar dissolves. (add optional ginger, if using, at this point).
- Continue boiling about 30 minutes, stirring frequently and reducing heat if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Check the marmalade at this point.
- Drop 1 tblsp of marmalade onto a chilled saucer and put in freezer.
- If it wrinkles when pushed after 2 minutes of cooling, then it is done.
- Mix in grenadine.
- Spoon hot marmalade into hot, sterilized jars, wiping rim of jar clean.
- Seal tightly.
- Cool to room temperature and refrigerate for up to 3 months.
To can:<br/><br/>hot, oven-sterilized 6 - 8 oz cans. Use your funnel of choice. Leave 1/4" headspace. <br/>Water bath 10 mins. <br/>Keep 2 years.
Made this on Sunday and it is pretty good! I tripled the recipe and zested the peel rather than sliced it because I wanted fine-cut marmalade. The grenadine gave it a great pinky orange colour and I got just over 7 cups of marmalade.
Edit: Since I have made this several times, I think that I should change my review to 5 stars. I just love it. Thanks! ***My Mom sent us a box of grapefruit for our anniversary. After a while, I started looking for something to do with them! Since my dh loves grenadine, thought I would try this. It turned out lovely. This was my first time making marmalade. I later used some of the marmalade to make Orange Marmalade Cookies which turned out very well. Thank you very much for a lovely recipe.