Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Grapefruit and Campari (and a splash of soda) is one of my favourite summer beverages. This granita is a sophisticated rendering of that. Freezing time has been noted as cooking time.
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups fresh pink grapefruit juice, with some pulp
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup campari (depending on how strong you like it)
- long strips grapefruit zest, removed with vegetable peeler,and given a curl
- Bring sugar and water to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Let syrup cool.
- Stir in grapefruit juice and Campari and freeze in a shallow metal pan, stirring and crushing lumps with a fork every 30-40 minutes, 3 to 4 hours, or until mixture is firm but not frozen.
- Scrape granita with a fork to lighten texture.
- Serve in chilled, stemmed glasses and garnish with a curl of zest.
One of the best ways of using Campari! So refreshing! I feel the summer coming. We have -5 C outside, but the bright sunny day makes it 22 C in our glassed balcony.