1/4 Photos of Grape Tomatoes With Onion, Bacon and Sage
Once a year there comes a time when certain fresh produce is available in abundance. At the moment all kinds of tomatoes are seductive in their beauty and variety! I bought a bag of the small, sweet grape tomatoes and had to find a use for them other than in salads! This simple side dish is especially nice with a roast chicken rubbed with a hot sauce, with baby potatoes roasted alongside. Use lots of dried basil in this recipe if fresh sage is not available. Fresh basil is a little too sensitive to heat and lose its fragrance when heated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, very large (or 2 onions)
- 3 1/2 ounces lean bacon, chopped (100g)
- 3 tablespoons oil (45 ml)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (30 ml)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (10 ml)
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, red-ripe (small plum tomatoes, 500 ml, rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt (5 ml Maldon Salt, or use more, to taste)
- 4 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, finely chopped (dried basil can also be used)
- 1I used my wok to make this, on high heat.
- 2Clean and chop the onion, heat the oil well, and add the onion bits. Stir and let fry.
- 3Chop up the bacon and separate the pieces if necessary.
- 4Fry the onion until it reduces and becomes a little transparent. Use a high heat, but do stir often to prevent burning. Then add the bacon pieces but don't let them stick together. Stir the whole lot a few times.
- 5After 5 minutes at high heat the bacon will be cooked. Add the balsamic vinegar and sugar, and stir well.
- 6Rinse the grape tomatoes and measure 2 generous cups (500 ml).
- 7Add the tomatoes to the pan or wok, and stir. Add enough salt -- sea salt flakes are really the nicest.
- 8Stir a few times until some of the tomatoes wrinkle and catch, then turn off the heat.
- 9Add the chopped sage leaves (sage complements the bacon and is a flavour difference from the usual basil).
- 10Stir through well. Pull off heat, and decant into a warmed serving dish.
- 11If your main meat dish is not hot (chilli pepper hot), you could add coarse black pepper to this dish.
- 12Leave in a warming oven for a while (or serve, depending on your family!).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grape Tomatoes With Onion, Bacon and Sage
Serving Size: 1 (98 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.9
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 16.8 mg
- Sodium 213.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
flaked sea salt
fresh sage leaves