I found this recipe on vegefood.com and have made it so many times. We were vegetarians but eat meat again now. However, we still love the vegetarian recipes we used to make. My mom and sisters are all vegetarians so I make these old recipes when they come to dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups Grape-nuts cereal
- 2 cups chopped celery (fine, but not too fine)
- 1/2 diced onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (I use walnuts but you can use what you like)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 6 white button mushrooms, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (in seasoning aisle in a tin)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (brewers yeast)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (but I don't use it because the soy sauce is salty enough even though it's lite)
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope light brown George Washington broth (vegetarian seasoning powder)
- mushroom gravy, for top when serving
- 1Combine all ingredients except gravy and mix well.
- 2Let stand 20 minutes.
- 3Transfer to a 9x13 pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
- 4Bake uncovered at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and set (be careful not to burn as cooking time can vary with ovens).
- 5Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- 6Cut into squares and top with brown or mushroom gravy.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grape-Nuts Vegetarian Roast
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.5
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 671.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 8.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
George Washington broth