1/4 Photos of Grape-Nuts Multigrain Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
Susiecat too's Note:
I threw this together as an experiment, and luckily for me it turned out to be delicious! I made two loaves which were promptly sliced into thick slabs, smeared with fresh butter and jam (Blueberry-Apricot Jam, if you must know), and consumed on the spot with a tall glass of milk. Mmmm. (I used Homemade Yogurt, one of my all-time favorites) Edited to add: I have reproduced this recipe many, many times now since it's original discovery, and this is a solid recipe that works every time! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the yogurt and the milk together in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Add the Grape Nuts cereal, and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- 2Add the rolled oats, honey and salt, mix well.
- 3Add one cup of flour and mix to incorporate it, then add the instant yeast. (If you prefer to use active dry yeast, you must proof it in warm water with a little bit of sugar, and add the yeast liquid here.) Mix well.
- 4Continue adding flour, about 1/2 cup at a time, until too thick to mix with a spoon.
- 5Turn out to a floured surface and begin to knead, adding flour a little bit at a time.
- 6The dough will stay quite sticky -- resist the urge to add more flour once you have used all 4 cups. Knead for approximately 10-15 minutes total.
- 7Put the oil into the empty mixing bowl and coat the sides well, add the dough and flip it around to cover all surfaces with a thin film of oil.
- 8Cover bowl and leave undisturbed in a warm spot to rise, about 90 minutes, until almost doubled in size.
- 9Punch down dough and return to floured work surface. Briefly knead oil into dough, then let dough rest for a few minutes.
- 10Divide in half, form loaves, and set aside to a warm spot, covered with plastic wrap or a dish towel to rise a second time, about 50 minutes, until almost doubled.
- 11Bake 350F for 25-35 minutes, until hollow-sounding when knocked on the bottom.
- 12Cool on racks.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grape-Nuts Multigrain Bread
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.8
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 3.3 mg
- Sodium 265.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 4.4 g