Recipe by drhousespcatcher
The local church always has homemade ice cream at the local fairs and celebrations. The big seller is Grape-Nuts. You have to get there early if you want any of it. This is not their recipe. They won't part with it. This Recipe from David Lebovitz’s The Perfect Scoop, Ten Speed Press. Time is chilling time for mix.
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup Grape-nuts cereal
- maple syrup, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup of the cream, the sugar, salt and cinnamon. Heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining cream and the vanilla extract. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 6 hours.
- Process the mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. When the mixture has just begun to thicken, about a third of the way through churning, add the cereal and continue processing.
- One of the options is to drizzle maple syrup on top. We do not. Makes a quart.