Recipe by UnknownChef86
It isn't hard to make your own cold breakfast cereal.
Top Review by Carolyn Kamberlane
These turned out great! We can't buy Grape Nuts where I live, and I love them so I was eager to try this out. I have a flour grinder so I ground up some fresh wheat flour and soaked it overnight in the buttermilk. I had to cook it for almost an hour before it was crisp enough to grate in the food processor. The second time around I made a double batch. Thanks for sharing this!
- 3 cups graham flour or 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ (or omit wheat germ and use 1/2 cup additional flour)
- 1 cup brown sugar or 3⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk or 2 cups sour milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Beat until smooth.
- Spread the dough on 2 large greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- While still warm, break the dough into chunks and grate it or whirl briefly in blender, about one cup at a time.
- Return to 250 F oven to crisp for 20-30 minutes.
- Store in airtight container.
- Serve for breakfast with milk.