Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My nanny passed away when I was 10 years of age though one of my fondest memories is of her grapenut custard and how it was a staple in her home. If it was not just a visit but a family dinner at her house, it always came out with a dollop of whipped cream on top. I have been making this for years and cannot help but remember my nanny and smile with each bite. I like it best without the whipped cream and cold from the fridge just like it always was a nanny's house. This recipe gives a nice caramelized almost crisp top and a soft velvety interior. c.2007
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup Grape-nuts cereal
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄16 teaspoon salt
- butter (to grease casserole)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the cereal, salt and milk while preparing the remainder.
- Grease with butter a 2.5 qt casserole dish.
- In a small bowl or 2 cup measuring cup combine the eggs, vanilla and sugar. Mix until thoroughly combined and emulsified.
- Pour the cereal and milk mixture into a mixing bowl and add the egg and sugar mixture. Stir well though do not allow to get overly foamy.
- Pour into the greased casserole and bake 60 minutes. This is done when a knife inserted halfway from the edge to the middle comes out clean.
- Do not attempt to overbake, it will appear underdone in the middle. Carry over cooking will handle that. Overcooked and it makes a nice albeit sweet hockey puck!
This was delicious! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe!