Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Wanna make your own cereal? Here's a great recipe for homemade grapenuts! You may half this recipe easily.
- 7 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple flavoring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease 6 13x9x2" pans.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add buttermilk, butter, vanilla and maple flavoring, if desired.
- Spread into baking pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool; break up and process in processor until pieces are small.
- Reduce oven to 250°.
- Return cereal to pans and bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes, or until light brown and crisp.
- Store in airtight containers.
I had to substitute some of the brown sugar by white sugar as I hadn't got enough of it, but it still tastes great. I think with brown sugar the taste must be a little more intense. Next time I make it I will make sure I have enough of it! Thank you Sharon for a great and healthy recipe!