Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A crunchy-textured bread with a barley flavor. Uses the nugget type Grape Nuts, not the flakes. The added gluten is optional, but makes a lighter loaf. Cook times vary by machine.
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 2 2⁄3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2⁄3 cup Grape-nuts cereal (nuggets, not flakes)
- 2 2⁄3 cups bread flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons gluten (optional)
- Put ingredients in machine pan in order recommended by manufacturer.
- Use medium crust setting.
- Remove from pan at end of baking cycle and cool completely on wire rack.
Delicious! We loved this tasty bread. I used the optional gluten and the result was a light, tall loaf, with a tender crust and soft interior...yum! I used the "light" crust setting because my machine tends to cook a little on the darker side. This bread sliced nicely without crumbling, even when warm, and it makes wonderful sandwiches. I would never of thought of using Grape Nuts to make bread, but it definitely works in this recipe. Thank you for sharing this great recipe!
**Made for 2012 Football Pool**
Wonderful bread, the flavor reminds me of the jewish rye bread I buy my dad at the grocery store. Nice crunchy crust, tender inside, and also tastes great toasted. Served warm with Carrie in Indiana's Hearty Steak Soup With Noodles #109936 and loved it! A nice bread to make sandwiches with too. Made and reviewed for Pick a Chef Spring 2010.
Very tall very tasty bread! We enjoyed it very much! And love the idea of using grapenuts! Thanks mikekey! :)