Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Hey-if you have access to a grape vine and use grape leaves-why not make your own, or include a jar in your Christmas Basket.
- Pick grape leaves that are young, tender, and light green in color.
- Cut off stems and wash in cold water.
- In a large pot-6 quart or larger-bring water to a boil.
- Drop in leaves 12 at a time.
- Cook for 30 seconds, remove and plunge in ice cold water.
- Pat dry and stack 6 in each pile.
- Roll stack and tie with string.
- Bring the 1 quart water to a full rolling boil with the salt.
- Boil 5 minutes.
- Pack rolls of leaves in sterile, hot quart jars.
- (about 6 rolls per jar-and I remove the string).
- Pour hot brine over leaves, removing bubbles and leaving 1/8 inch head space.
- Seal and process in a boiling water bath 15 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet sea level.
- Consult chart for higher elevations.
- *It should be noted that this recipe says you can keep the string on-I did not.
- **To use open jar, remove rolls needed, rinse leaves in cold water and use.
- Store remaining leaves with their brine in the fridge.
I made this ages ago, and forgot to review! These are wonderful... and simple. They are my first step in making my Recipe #190745 Thank you so much for posting this recipe!