Recipe by Darlene Summers
Grape jelly is my favorite. My husband makes this for me. He makes blackberry, plum and crab apple too. He is an excellent cook. He is the canner in our family--he cans everything!! The cooking time is only after it comes to a boil.
Top Review by sissy sue
This is really good jelly. I used grape juice. At first, I didn't think it got thick enough, but hubby says it is just right. I put some in the freezer. Thanks for a great recipe.
- 5 cups grape juice (about 3 1/2 pounds of ripe grapes)
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) boxof sure-jel pectin
- 7 cups sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- First make the grape juice using clean washed grapes.
- To 3 1/2 pounds of clean grapes add 1 1/2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Strain and squeeze out all of the juice with a jelly cloth, or whatever means you have.
- In a very big pan, put 5 cups of the juice.
- Add the fruit pectin to the juice.
- Mix well.
- On high heat, bring to a full rolling boil, and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sugar all at once, and bring back to a full rolling boil, again boil hard for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, skim off foam and pour into hot jars.
- If using paraffin, pour hot paraffin in on top of jelly.
- Or seal with canning lids.