Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Its funny how I got this recipe. The other day, I was thinking to myself that this year for Valentine's day, I will make something other than a chocolate cake for my family. But the question was - Make what? This evening, I got a huge gift box from Auntie Nez(Chef Inez Willenborg on Zaar) and this recipe was crumpled up in a newspaper in her box! Normally, I would have thrown out the crumpled paper and kept her gifts. But something made me open the paper and I was thrilled to find this dessert in there! It looks wonderful to me. I'm sure it tastes great too, especially with all the topping of vanilla ice cream and maple syrup! YUM YUM YUM! This can be served warm or at room temperature or chilled, as desired. You can top it off with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream or drizzle with maple syrup and enjoy! Served anyway you like it, this dessert is bound to win you over! I hope you enjoy this!!
- Bake the bread cubes in a 350F oven for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Beat eggs, one at a time, in a large bowl.
- Add sugar and cream well.
- Mix in nutmeg, milk, half and half and essence.
- Add toasted bread cubes and grapes.
- Mix well.
- Spoon bread mixture into a lightly buttered 2 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle almonds and drizzle butter over the top.
- Bake at 350F for 35 minutes or until the top is golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
- Note: 2 cups milk or 2 cups half and half may be substituted for 1 cup each.