1 hr 20 mins
From Grant Achatz, Chicago chef
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter a 9X13" baking dish. In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat until crisp, about 7 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate.
- 3Add the onion and bay leaves to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in the flour until blended. Gradually whisk in the milk until the sauce is smooth. Bring to a boil over high heat, whisking constantly, and cook until thickened. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce gently for 30 minutes, whisking frequently. Discard the bay leaves.
- 4Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and boil about 4 minutes. Drain the macaroni and return it to the pot.
- 5Stir 4 cups of the cheddar into the hot sauce; add the bacon and season with salt. Add the sauce to the macaroni and mix well. Spread the mac and cheese in the baking dish and scatter the remaining 1 cup of cheddar on top.
- 6Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 7The assembled mac and cheese can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grant's Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1176.2
- Calories from Fat 762
- Total Fat 84.7 g
- Saturated Fat 35.6 g
- Cholesterol 168.5 mg
- Sodium 1498.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 42.9 g