Recipe by DrGaellon
Submitted by the Cafe's host himself, Sam/copperbadge. From the Cafe Cookie Book.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat butter with sugar, salt, and egg yolk until fluffy.
- Add flour a little at a time until mixture is too stiff to work with a spoon. (Do not use a mixer, as the dough will be far too stiff.)
- Flour a counter or board and knead the dough, pulling the flour into it, until it just begins to "crack". It's about the texture of play-doh at this point, perhaps a little stiffer. You may need a little more or a little less than 2 1/4 cups.
- Divide the dough into two balls and pat them each into a circle about 1/2 inch thick on an ungreased cookie sheet. Prick the whole thing with a fork, and use the flat of the fork to press lines around the edges.
- Bake at 350°F until brown, about 30 minutes. The center will be a pale pastel yellow and the edges will just be turning brown.
- Remove the cookie sheet and cut the shortbread while it's still hot (it gets more brittle as it cools).