Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My Gran gave me this recipe at my hen's party before I got married. I'll always keep it near, but paper get's damaged, so I'm saving it here.
- Sift together sugar, flour, salt, cocoa.
- Stir to mix.
- Add vanilla essence to egg yolks.
- Stir together.
- Add baking powder to egg whites.
- Beat well to a froth.
- Add boiling water to oil and stir vigorously into dry ingredients.
- Add in egg yolk mixture and stir.
- Fold in egg white mixture.
- Bake at 180C (350 F) for approximately 30 minutes.
- For icing:.
- Once cake has cooled down, mix ingredients and ice cake.
I can't bake to save my life...it always comes out flat. Thank you for this wonderful recipe....I can now say "I can bake!" Like Luschka says, it is absolutely flop proof and comes out light and fluffy. In fact so that I would never go a nd buy a Mr Kipling or the like again. Thank you again Luschka :)