Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My gran gave me this recipe for my first hen party. I don't know where she got it from, but it's a stunning cake. Hope you enjoy!
- 250 ml sugar
- 250 ml self-raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 125 ml oil
- 125 ml boiling water
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 250 ml icing sugar
- 150 ml milk
- Line a 20 cm diameter cake tin with wax paper.
- Heat oven to 180°C or 350°F while preparing mixture.
- Sift together sugar, flour, salt, cocoa.
- Stir to mix.
- Add vanilla essence to egg yolks.
- Stir together.
- Add baking powder to egg whites.
- Beat well to a froth.
- Add boiling water to oil and stir vigorously into dry ingredients.
- Add in egg yolk mixture and stir.
- Fold in egg white mixture.
- Bake at 180°C (350°F) for approximately 30 minutes.
- For icing:.
- Once cake has cooled down, mix ingredients and ice cake.