Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I was raised on this recipe from my gran
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs smoked ham, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 quart boiling water
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly diced
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place the sausage and ham in the boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain, but reserve the liquid.
- Put the meat into a large saucepan (or an oven-proof dish) with the onions, potatoes, and parsley. Add enough of the stock to not quite cover the contents. Cover the pot and simmer gently for about 1 hour, or until the liquid is reduced by half and all the ingredients are cooked but not mushy. You may need to remove the lid during the last half of the cooking process. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with the vegetables on top and fresh Irish Soda Bread and a glass of stout.