Recipe by Cathie H.
My 93 year young grandmother-in-law finally wrote this recipe out for me. It is a huge family favorite that is a big hit even with those who don't enjoy traditional baked beans. Not real sweet, great with ham, or for a pot luck.
- 1 lb dried white pea beans (navy beans)
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot, cover beans with water, about 2 inches above beans.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat after 2 minutes.
- Let stand one hour adding enough water to keep beans covered if necessary.
- Return beans to the stove on very low heat for 1 hour (do not boil or beans will burst).
- Drain and reserve liquid.
- Turn beans into a large casserole and add butter, salt, pepper, sugar, onions and one cup of reserved liquid.
- Bake uncovered at 300°F for 3 1/2 - 4 hours. Do not stir too much or beans could get mushy.
- Add reserved liquid if required to keep beans moist.