Cook1 hr 30 mins
Here's my granola version using green, pumpkin seed kernels. Delicious with soy milk for breakfast or snack.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, for greasing pan
- 1 cup jaggery or 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 cups rolled oats, not quick oats
- 1 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds (pepitos)
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup seedless raisin
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and lightly grease bottom of pan.
- Break-up the jaggery or brown sugar lumps.
- In a large shallow pan combine all ingredients EXCEPT the coconut flakes and raisins.
- Bake for about an hour stirring every 10-minutes.
- Add the coconut flakes and continue baking.
- When coconut is nicely browned, granola is done; remove pan from oven.
- Add raisins and stir until combined. Taste to adjust salt, sugar and cinnamon.
- When cool, store in a jar with a tight fitting lid.
We made a half batch and used canola oil instead of coconut oil. We felt that it needed a little more flavor/sweetener for our liking. I believe this would be a great basic recipe to tweak. I may try it with adding some honey and a little more oil. I will also try it as cereal and see how it tastes and will update, if needed.