Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A classic granola that can be made with or without the raisins. I like this recipe because it is not overly sweet. From The Book of Whole Grains, 1976 edition.
- 1419.54 ml rolled oats
- 236.59 ml shredded coconut
- 236.59 ml toasted wheat germ
- 118.29 ml sunflower seeds
- 59.14 ml sesame seeds
- 59.14 ml finely chopped nuts
- 118.29 ml melted butter or 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml honey
- 59.14 ml water
- 3.69 ml salt (changed from 1 1/2 tsp in original recipe)
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 236.59 ml raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine oats, coconut, wheat germ, seeds, and nuts in a large bowl.
- In a medium sauce pan, mix together butter or oil, honey, water, salt and vanilla. Heat on low until honey is completely dissolved into mixture. Pour over grains stirring thoroughly.
- Spread mixture thinly between 2 cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently. (Note: I usually stir about every 7-8 minutes and watch closely at around 18 minutes so it does not over brown). Oats should be crisp and brown, but coconut not burned.
- Allow to cool thoroughly, then add optional raisins and place in an airtight container for storage.
- Serve with milk for breakfast or snacks.