Recipe by Babs in Toyland
A good breakfast granola bar that isn't crumbly, but is crunchy and delicious.
Top Review by Country Bumpkin
I've tried several granola recipes but this one was actually "approved" by my son, who's a picky eater. I used "raw" wheat germ, and was really satisfied with the end result
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour or 1⁄2 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 1⁄2 cup Grape-nuts cereal
- 1⁄2 cup raw peanuts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup safflower oil or 1⁄2 cup corn oil
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Coat a 11 1/2 by 16 1/2 jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, flour, milk, Grape-Nuts cereal, peanuts, pecans, walnuts, raisins and almonds.
- In a 2 cup measuring bowl beat together the oil, honey, water, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Pour over dry mixture coating thoroughly.
- Spread granola in the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Leave mixture in the oven about an hour until cool.
- Granola should be very crisp.
- Cut into squares and store in a covered container.