Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is so easy to make - delicious, versatile, inexpensive and healthier than all those boxed varieties at the supermarket (filled with un-pronouncible ingredients)... I sweeten it with a granular sugar substitute and it works just fine. Watch closely toward the end of the baking time so that you don't scorch or burn it. I love it crunchy and with that toasty taste, but a minute too long and it goes from toasty to toasted.
- 2 cups rolled oats (old-fashioned kind)
- 2 cups wheat, rolled red (in bulk food section at market)
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds, raw and hulled
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, raw and unsalted
- 3 tablespoons oil (vegetable or mild olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar or 1⁄3 cup white sugar, honey, real maple syrup or 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt (or a pinch of table salt)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure the oats, rolled wheat, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds and any other optional dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix together.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oil, water, sugar (or other sweetening ingredient) and salt plus any optional flavorings or other ingredients.
- Pour the oil mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- For Cinnamon Raisin Granola:.
- Add 2 teaspoons vanilla and 2 teaspoons cinnamon to liquid ingredients. Then stir-in 3/4 cup raisins after granola has baked.
- For Cranberry Orange Granola:.
- Grate 3-4 teaspoons orange peel and add to liquid ingredients along with 1/2 teaspoons lemon or orange flavoring. Stir in 3/4 cup dried cranberries after granola has baked.
- For Cherry Coconut Granola:.
- Add 1/4 C dried coconut to dry ingredients. Add 1 teaspoons almond flavoring to liquid ingredients. Stir in 3/4 C dried cherries after granola has baked.
- Spread the mixture out in a 12" x 17" rimmed baking sheet and place in pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. See note above.
- Pour baked granola back into a large bowl so mix in dried fruit or other optional ingredients.
- Cool completely and store in an air-tight container. Can be packaged into individual serving size baggies and frozen.