Knitting Granny's Note:
This is so easy to make - delicious, versatile, inexpensive and healthier than all those boxed varieties at the supermarket (filled with un-pronouncible ingredients)... I sweeten it with a granular sugar substitute and it works just fine. Watch closely toward the end of the baking time so that you don't scorch or burn it. I love it crunchy and with that toasty taste, but a minute too long and it goes from toasty to toasted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups rolled oats (old-fashioned kind)
- 2 cups wheat, rolled red (in bulk food section at market)
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, raw and hulled
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, raw and unsalted
- 3 tablespoons oil (vegetable or mild olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar or 1/3 cup white sugar, honey, real maple syrup or 1/3 cup Splenda granular
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt (or a pinch of table salt)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Measure the oats, rolled wheat, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds and any other optional dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix together.
- 3In a small bowl, mix together the oil, water, sugar (or other sweetening ingredient) and salt plus any optional flavorings or other ingredients.
- 4Pour the oil mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- 5For Cinnamon Raisin Granola:.
- 6Add 2 teaspoons vanilla and 2 teaspoons cinnamon to liquid ingredients. Then stir-in 3/4 cup raisins after granola has baked.
- 7For Cranberry Orange Granola:.
- 8Grate 3-4 teaspoons orange peel and add to liquid ingredients along with 1/2 teaspoons lemon or orange flavoring. Stir in 3/4 cup dried cranberries after granola has baked.
- 9For Cherry Coconut Granola:.
- 10Add 1/4 C dried coconut to dry ingredients. Add 1 teaspoons almond flavoring to liquid ingredients. Stir in 3/4 C dried cherries after granola has baked.
- 11Spread the mixture out in a 12" x 17" rimmed baking sheet and place in pre-heated oven.
- 12Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. See note above.
- 13Pour baked granola back into a large bowl so mix in dried fruit or other optional ingredients.
- 14Cool completely and store in an air-tight container. Can be packaged into individual serving size baggies and frozen.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Granola Master Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (41 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.4
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 15.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 4.6 g