Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here's a sweet, healthy, crunchie, snack that's yummy good.
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2-3 teaspoons cinnamon, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup natural bran
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped almonds or 1⁄4 cup pecans or 1⁄4 cup cashews or 1⁄4 cup peanuts or 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup dried cranberries or 1 cup chopped dried apricot
- Preheat oven to 300°F Grease 3 large baking sheets with rims.
- In a microwave proof dish mix first 8 ingredients and cook 1 minute till sugar id dissolved. Take note to use more of the sugar and oil if you want a sweeter, stickier mix or less for a low calorie mix.
- DO NOT boil.
- Mix the remaining ingredients except the raisins, cranberries and apricots.
- Pour syrup over the oat mixture.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until syrup coats all ingredients.
- Spread granola thinly and evenly on baking sheets and bake about 15-20 min, or until lightly browned.
- Spoon into a large bowl, add dried fruit and mix thoroughly. Cool.
- Store in a tightly covered container and keep in a cool dry place.
- Enjoy without guilt!
This was my morning snack mixed with yogurt. It is has a nice crunch. I really like this because it is easy to put together, it is lower in fat than alot of granola. I used the walnuts and cranberries. I was running low on wheat germ so I flipped the amounts of oat bran and wheat germ. Something I will do again.