Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I hate cooked oatmeal, so was looking for a different way to eat it and combine it with some other healthy ingredients. This is what I came up with. Kid friendly!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease glass pan with cooking spray.
- Grind flax seeds in a blender or coffee grinder. This will yield about 1/3 cup of flax seed meal.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix. (do not include fillers yet).
- Add wet ingredients and mix well with your hands. You may need to add a little more honey if it doesn't seem to be sticking together.
- Add whatever you want to flavor your granola bars.
- Suggestions: dried fruit, raisins, nuts, baking chips (chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch -- ) I usually add chocolate chips and sliced almonds. Continue to mix well with hands.
- Dump mixture into your greased pan and spread out flat. (If using a 9x13 pan, the mixture will not reach all the sides. It doesn't really matter as long as it's flat. The edges just won't be perfect --.
- Bake until it's just starting to turn golden on top. It will be puffy and soft. This will take 15 - 20 minutes. Check often, and don't overcook. Cut while still warm and let cool a few minutes in the pan.
- When hard enough to move, place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in paper bags.