Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
I came up with this after reviewing countless granola recipes and finding something to change in all of them. I love granola and eat it with (rice) milk, on plain yogurt or alone as a snack.
- 4 cups oats
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed meal
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)
- Preheat oven 350º F/ 177º Celsius.
- In a large bowl, mix oats, wheat germ, flax meal, coconut, cinnamon and salt.
- In a microwavable container, combine honey, oil, sugar and molasses and microwave on high 1-2 minutes until hot, but not boiling.
- Add vanilla to wet ingredients and stir well.
- Add wet ingredients to oat mixture and stir until all the oat mix is moistened.
- Add almonds and toss.
- Pour evenly onto jellyroll pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, stirring once at about 15 minutes (if it smells like it's starting to burn, remove immediately and it will likely still turn out tasty).
- Remove from oven and immediately stir in raisins and/or dried fruit of your choice.
- Occasionally stir in the cooling process and once cool, transfer to an airtight container. If you like super chunky granola, let it cool without stirring and break up the cooled pieces.
- *Vegan option: Use maple syrup in place of the honey.
- Note: If you have a coffee grinder, it's a helpful tool to mill flax seeds into flax meal.