Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Healthy gluten, dairy and egg free breakfast bars. This recipe was given to me by a friend.
Make and share this Granola Breakfast Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2 cups oats, toasted (quick or regular)
- 1 cup nuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 2⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup honey (can substitute for corn syrup or molasses)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Toast oats by spreading on a cookie sheet or large baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned. This gives the oats a nutty flavor and helps the mixture stick together better.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon. Press into well-greased 15x10 inch jelly roll pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. Cool and cut into bars when cool.
- Variations: Substitute chocolate chips for raisins. Add 1/2 cup coconut. Substitute 1/2 cup sunflower seeds for the nuts.
Tastes good but in no way holds together like a bar or squares. I even tried to freeze it first before cutting it and it still fell apart.
I changed the recipe and added flax, buckwheat flakes, sunflower seeds and unsweetened cranberries (due to a nut allergy). I also substituted agave and brown rice syrup instead of honey and sugar. Great taste and very filling but I find them too greasy, I will try to reduce the fat.
Ok, first, you have to make sure you vanilla is gluten free!! And oats are NOT gluten free! I'm sorry. But they are not. Unless you are getting oats from fields thousands of miles from wheat fields and they never ever plant rye, barley, kamut, spelt or wheat in their fields then they are most likely light gluten. But Oats HAVE gluten in them.